Thursday 27 March 2014

Crochet confusion

When I started crocheting, I soon realised that Americans were into crochet in a much bigger way than Brits. Or maybe it's just because there are more of them so all the instructional videos were from the USA. This caused me and my crocheting buddies some confusion. Turns out US and UK crochet terms don't actually mean the same thing. But both countries use the same terms, oh maaaaan. For anyone else who is confused, here is a handy conversion table...



Most patterns I have come across on the web, use US terms. UK pattern books are the only place I have seen UK terms used. Even UK designers on the web tend to use US terms.

For anyone who is starting out, This useful graphic turned up on my Facebook feed this morning, courtesy of Oombawka design crochet...


Many people have asked me to teach them to crochet, but the truth is I just used YouTube videos when I was initially learning to crochet, mainly this series. I still regularly use the videos to check I am doing the correct thing or if I come across a new stitch. I would love to run crochet lessons but I'm still considering the logistics. Ask me to teach some Chemistry, fine. Crochet? Where do I start?! 

So, until then, just get yourself a 5mm hook (aluminium), a ball of aran weight yarn in a light shade and settle down with the YouTube videos. 

WARNING: CROCHET IS ADDICTIVE.

Being a Crochet and Knitting addict, means openly talking about hooking, fingering and your  
stash, while bystanders
wonder if they should
call the police.


No comments:

Post a Comment